Below post forwarded to me by Rev Fr Ananwa is an interesting insight into why we certainly need to urgently start thinking out of the box when it comes to Farming. Days are gone when, farming was merely for food security. It is today all about food security and industrialization. No nation can develop without developing the farming sector. Simply put, you can’t create employment without industrialization. And you can’t industrialize without raw materials as almost all the raw materials you need to industrialize directly or indirectly come from either crops, livestock, forestry or wildlife farming. Think and ponder, you’ll be amazed how we ignorantly ignore the farming sector. In one of my many visits to Nigeria, whenever, I’m invited to present papers on how we can leverage on this sector for common good, I’m amazed at how we always find it difficult to understand this very simple correlations. When, I was invited by the University of Nigeria, Nsuka to speak on the nexus between food security and biotechnology. Again, I wanted us to think out of the box, given that the element of genetically modified – GM crops vis-à-vis food aside from certain basic opportunities has equally huge health implications. Sadly, except the VC and few scholars many were on the other side of the argument.Again, after many years of that incident, one Mr Nkota, a pharmacist with his professional colleague approached me on behalf of Delta State Pharmaceutical body for a presentation in this diection. After a very long discussion, we all agreed that I’ll be invited to come and address them on the need for Nigerian Pharmacist to start thinking out of the box when it comes to farming.It was such an exciting moment for me. Very excited, I said to the two gentleman who obviously are senior pharmacists, that finally Delta state will be in the Vanguard of getting Nigeria into the huge global market of FOOD supplement after my presentation. I was looking forward to that presentation having agreed on terms of the presentation. Knowing how appreciative people always are each time I make such presentations, I was happy and confident that Nigeria was finally on the right track. Of cause, as always, I’m not interested in who takes the credit, when the ball starts rolling as it’s presently happening in the farming sector.Sadly, again Mr Nkota and his colleague met a wall of disapproval from their colleagues who probably still prefer the present situation of import based rather than export based pharmaceutical practice that is capable of creating huge marketing, sales, farming, pharmaceutical and other jobs in the most populous country in Africa.
I sincerely wish we can start thinking out of the box by doing the needful. Adding value to our farm produce while government and appropriate agencies are encouraged to invest hugely on research as we develop the farming sector. It’s certainly not enough to encourage more people to go into the farming sector only for food security as we really do not allow a repeat of same situation of producing crude oil and still import fuel as is presently in Nigeria. That will be counter productive for socio-economic growth no matter the number of people we attract in the core farming sector.
*Here is the Rev Fr Ananwu’s post to me reposted herein*
1. TYPHOID FEVER: Get unripe pawpaw, unripepineapple,ginger,lime orange and Lipton tea. Cut into pieces,boil with fermented corn water for one hour. Take one glass cup3 times daily for one week. The ailment will disappear.
2. STOMACH ULCER: Get 7-8 unripe plantain, peel them, cutthem to pieces and pound. Put everything inside a plasticcontainer, fill it with one gallon of water. Allow it to ferment forthree days. Take one cup 2 times a day for one week. Theailment will disappear.
3. ASTHMA: Get some seeds of mango, cut it into pieces andkeep under the sun to dry. Grind to powder. Put one spoon ofthe powder into a glass cup of water, stir it and drink. Once in aday for 3-4 weeks .
4. RHEUMATISM / ARTHRITIS: Get 5 seeds of English pear(Avocado pear),cut into pieces and dry under the sun, grind topowder. Mix with a glass of honey to form paste. Take onespoon,3 times daily until the 6 days.
.5 CHOLERA : Take three teaspoons of salt and one teaspoon of sugar, add half spoon of dry gin. Drink all as a single dose. Thecholera will stop immediately.
6. HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE : Get 4 seeds of English pear(Avocado pear),cut into pieces, dry under the sun and grind intopowder. Put a teaspoon of this powder into your prepared palpand drink. Once daily for 2 weeks.
7. PNEUMONIA: Get a handful of garlic, grind to extract thejuice. Drink a spoon and use the juice to rub the chest and back.That will close the chapter.
. 8 SEVERE COUGH : Get about 10 pieces of bitter cola, grind topowder, add half cup of original honey. Take 2 spoons thricedaily for 4 days.
. 9:TUBERCULOSIS : Get 20-23 pieces of bitter cola, ginger ofequal quantity and 3 bulbs of garlic. Grind everything and add abottle of original honey. Take one spoon thrice daily for onemonth.
10. DIABETES : Grind 6 bulbs of big onions, add one originalbottle of honey. Take one spoon thrice daily for one month.ALTERNATIVELY; get a handful of bitter leaf and scent leaves,squeeze out the water in them, add lime(orange)juice, grindedgarlic and small potash. Take half glass of it twice daily for onemonth.
11. STAPHILOCOCCUS : Get 2 pieces of aloe-vera,cut intopieces and put it in a container. Add one bottle of original honeyand a glass of water. Take half cup of it,2 times daily for oneweek.
12. WOMAN UNDER HARD LABOUR : Get some leaves ofCochorus Olitorus(Vegetable Leaf),squeeze out the water andgive it to the woman under hard labour.She will deliver thebaby instantly.
13. INTERNAL PILE: Get the leaves of pawpaw, scent leaves andbitter leaves, squeeze out the water. Take half cup twice dailyfor 4 days.
15. MENSTRUATION PROBLEM: Get 4-5 cola, ginger and garlic,cut them in pieces .Mix it with lime orange juice. Take 2spoons daily for 3 days.
16. WEIGHT LOSS : Get some corn silk, boil with lime orangejuice. Drink half cup of it daily for one week and also embark onphysical exercise.
17. FUNGAL INFECTION : Mix a native soap with ground potash,add lime orange. Apply the mixture after bath.
18. GONORRHEA : Get 3-4 pieces of cola, ginger and garlic, cutinto pieces. Mix everything with lime orange juice. Take 2spoons daily until, it is over.
19. INTERNAL HEAT : Get some quantity of dry pawpaw leavesand cashew leaves, boil with water and drink half cup daily forone week.
20. INSOMNIA : Add 3 spoons of honey into a glass cup of milk.Take all at bedtime for one week.
21-. HEART FAILURE : Grind 12 bulbs of onions and 12 bulbs ofgarlic together. Get 3 bottles of honey, mix together. Take 2spoons thrice daily for 2 weeks.
23. TEETHING PROBLEMS IN CHILDREN : Get a mixture of limejuice and honey; let it be of equal quantity. The child shouldtake one teaspoon twice daily until the problem is over.
24. LOW SPERM COUNT : Get large quantity of guavaleaves,pound,add water and filter. Drink one glass cup thriceper day for 1 week. As you are taking that, eat carrot andcucumber daily for 2 weeks.
25. QUICK EJACULATION : Get 3 bulbs of Okro,slice them; getthe dry seed of it, ferment everything with soda water for 2days. Take half cup daily for one week.
26. WEAK ERECTION: Get 6 bulbs of white onions, grind andextract the juice. Mix the juice with honey. Take 2 spoons thricedaily for one week.
27. VIRGINAL DISCHARGE: Get 3 pieces of bitter cola, someginger and garlic, grind and add lime juice .Take 2 spoons twicedaily for one week.
28. CHILDREN CONVULSION : Get one onion, small garlic andginger, grind all. Mix with palm kernel oil. Give the child to drinkand use the mixture as cream for the child.
29. FIRE BURNS : Rub the affected the area with pure honeydaily.
30. HAIR BREAKAGE : Get one bottle of olive oil and one bottle ofhoney. Mix together and warm it for few minutes. Use themixture to wash your hair.
31. BALD HEAD: Grind bird pepper, unripe pawpaw seed andmix with lime orange juice. Use the mixture to rub the head, hairwill start growing in the affected area.
32. FIBROID : Eat about 20 pieces of unripe palm kernel seedseveryday for about two months.33. BLOOD BUILDING : Get some quantity of pumpkin leaves andgarden egg leaves, squeeze out the liquid, add milk. Drink it forthree days; your blood will be boosted.
34. CATARACTS : Apply the aloe-vera gel to the affected eyesevery night until the problem is over.
35. THROAT PROBLEM : Eat small. quantity of week.With these you can see that agriculture is no longer just about food security but also include other sectors.We need to change the narrative now!